Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Norwegian Rommegrot

I am 1/4 Norwegian and despite having many traditional Norwegian foods (such as WONDERFUL Lefse) I didn't get to try Norwegian Rommegrot until a few years ago at a church Christmas party. Oh man! It is one of the unhealthiest things I have ever eaten, but it is sooooo good! I found a recipe online and decided to share it with you. I can't remember where I got this recipe or I'd share that info with you. If you decide to try this - I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Ingredients:
1 qt. milk (I have found whole milk to work best)
1 c. half and half
1 c. butter
3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
Brown Sugar and cinnamon

Directions:
Heat milk and half and half; do not scorch; set aside.
In large, heavy pan, melt 1 cup butter and add flour, cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Pour in milk, cook, stirring frequently until mixture bubbles and thickens.
Stir in sugar.
Pour 1/4 cup melted butter on top.
Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
Serve warm.
Makes 1/2 gallon.


NOTE: This may be kept warm and served from a crock pot. Use low heat. Add butter, sugar and cinnamon after mixture is put in crock pot. Rommegrot is traditionally served at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment